Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

Required before marketing.

Rates the energy efficiency and its environmental impact

Valid for 10 years

Gascoines charge for arranging: £90 inc VAT

From 1st April 2020 ALL rental properties must have a minimum EPC grade of A-E rating.

Gas Safety Certificate

Legal requirement before any let is agreed

Valid for 12 months

Undertaken by a certified Gas Safe registered engineer

Gascoines charge £80 for boiler inspection and £10 for each additional appliance

Electrical Safety

It is now a legal requirement to provide an EICR (Electrical Installation Condition Report) If works are required to bring the electrics up to current standards, then this must be authorised and completed within 28 days. These reports last for 5 years. From 1st April 2021, this rule will apply to all tenancies, existing and new.

Recommendation is to have any appliances PAT (Portable Appliance Test) every year to ensure fit for purpose

Landlords legal essentials

Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarms

It is a Legal requirement to have a smoke alarm fitted to every landing. Carbon Monoxide alarms must be fitted in any property with a gas supply.

Gascoines charge £20 inc VAT to supply and fit a smoke alarm and £30 inc VAT for a carbon monoxide alarm

Furniture and Furnishings Fire Safety Regulations

Upholstered furniture and soft furnishings must meet current Fire Safety Regulations and carry a suitable permanent label Any items made prior to 1950 are exempt


It is a legal requirement that all Landlords have full buildings insurance

Contents insurance is not a legal requirement but is recommended for any furnished properties. It is the tenants’ responsibility to insure their contents

Mortgaged/Leasehold properties

If the property is mortgaged, unless it is a Buy to Let mortgage, you will need written permission known as a consent to let from your mortgage provider before you can rent out your property.

If your property is leasehold, you may need written consent before you can sublet

The Landlord must make the letting agent aware of any covenants in the Head Lease as the tenants will need to adhere to them

House in Multiple Occupancy (HMO)

A HMO is where there are three or more tenants forming two or more households who share facilities such as a kitchen. A licence may be required; further advice is available from the local council.

Deposit Protection Scheme

Any deposit paid by the tenant must be registered with a government backed deposit protection scheme within 30 days of receipt. Gascoines can arrange for the legal transfer of your deposit to the Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS) for £40 inc VAT. If you wish to register your own deposit, we will require proof of registration. For fully managed properties, Gascoines will liaise with the TDS regarding the return of the deposit and any disputes that may arise.

Fittings for window blinds

Where blinds are operated by pull cords, it is a legal requirement that all blinds with either cords or chains are secured to the wall using a cord tidy or cleat and are out of the reach of children. Blinds with plastic chain breaker cords will break apart when under pressure, and do not need securing.

Please ask if you are unsure if this affects your property.